Exploring English Jewelry: An Intersection of Celtic Design and Nature

Authored by Richard Jones

19th Century English Pendant

This 19th century pendant was created by Charles Horner using the basse-taille technique which involves chasing or engraving the underside of the enamel. The pendant is inspired by the Celtic cross and the petal shape of large flowering plants. The materials consist of enamel, silver, mother of pearl, and freshwater pearl.

To cite this image please use the following citation format as provided by the Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Museum of Design:

Pendant (England); Made by Charles Horner Ltd. ; cut, cast and hammered silver with basse-taille enamel, set with mother-of-pearl, fresh-water baroque pearl drop, cut silver wire chain; 2013-55-6

Gwa’sala Kwakwaka’wakw, Speaker Figure

Authored by Maymanah Farhat

Gwa’sala Kwakwaka’wakw. Speaker Figure, 19th century
Cedar wood, pigment
116 1/4 x 27 x 13 in. (295.3 x 68.6 x 33 cm)
Brooklyn Museum, Museum Expedition 1905
Museum Collection Fund 05.588.7418 Creative Commons-BY
(Photo: Maymanah Farhat, February 3, 2019)

Tomb of Ermengol VII, Count of Urgell

Authored by AJ Lent

Tomb of Ermengol VII, Count of Urgell, ca. 1300–1350 Catalan, Limestone, traces of paint; Overall: 89 x 79 1/2 x 35 in. (226.1 x 201.9 x 88.9 cm) The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, The Cloisters Collection,1928 (28.95a–xx) http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/472387

Rota The Lion

Sir Winston Churchill’s
pet lion.

Description: Taxidermied full grown African male lion. Roughly 9 feet in length and standing over 6 feet tall. Modeled with mouth open in a roaring pose on top of a boulder. Is protected under a glass and wooden mahogany display with LED lights illuminating the subject.

On June 20th, 1955, after Rota’s passing. George Thomas commissioned Rowland Ward to preserve Rota. The lion is now apart of the Otto Lightner collection at the Lightner Museum located in
St. Augustine, Florida.

Stavelot Triptych

Authored by Megan Duffy

Stavelot Triptych








Wood, copper and silver gilt, enamel, semi-precious stones

18 15/16 x 12 5/8 x 3 1/8 inches (479 x 321 x 79 mm)

The two small panels in the center are Byzantine and date from the late 11th or early 12th century. The larger triptych which houses the Byzantine works is Mosan and dated 1156-1158.

Purchased by Pierpont Morgan, 1910